Basic Life Support: CPR and First Aid
According to the World Health Organization, cardiovascular diseases are the most common cause of death worldwide and account for about one-third of deaths. As our population ages, the prevalence of these diseases is expected to increase. This program will help prepare participants to handle these events and other life-threatening incidents.
The Basic Life Support (BLS): CPR and First Aid provider program is designed to provide course participants with foundational knowledge and teach skills needed to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and other lifesaving skills.
During this course, participants will become familiar with the signs and symptoms associated with cardiovascular diseases such as heart attack as well as with other diseases and conditions that may also pose an immediate threat to life. Those conditions — such as shock, choking and external bleeding — are included in this course.
The first-aid component of this course addresses additional circumstances and diseases that may require intervention and assistance from emergency medical services (EMS).
Successful completion of the BLS: CPR and First Aid course includes demonstration of skill competency and passing a knowledge assessment. Upon completion, you will receive a provider card indicating that you have been trained in basic life support (including CPR) and first-aid measures.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone wanting to learn Basic Life Support, CPR and First Aid Skills
- Anyone looking to take Rescue or Professional-level dive training that does not have current CPR certification.
Additional Courses you may be interested in:
- Emergency Oxygen for Scuba Diving Injuries - This course teaches you how to recognize when to and how to administer Emergency Oxygen to scuba diving victims.
- First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life Injuries - This course builds on the First Aid skills learned in the Basic Life Support course and focuses on treating many of the kinds of hazardous marine life that we can encounter when diving.
- Neurological Assessment - This course helps you learn how to recognize key signs and evaluate an individual with a suspected neurological injury.
Alternate Courses you may be interested in:
- CPR Health Care Provider with First Aid - If you want to learn how to perform more advanced CPR (1 & 2 person with pulse checking) and/or would like to learn how to perform CPR on adults, children and infants. This course assumes you already have some basic experience with CPR and First Aid.
- Diving Emergency Management Provider (DEMP) - This course incorporates all of the Basic Life Support course and also covers Emergency Oxygen, First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life Injuries and performing Neurological Assessments. Its a great package course with a TON of information.
- Diving First Aid for Professional Divers (DFA-Pro) - This course is focused on individuals that need to be familiar with Diving First Aid as part of their job and/or may be subject to OSHA oversight. The course covers all of the same things as the DEMP program listed above but focuses on the professional setting.