SDI Boat DiverSold Out
SDI Boat Diver
Boat Diving occurs every day around the world; whether is it an inland lake or in the Caribbean, South Pacific or Read Sea, divers can explore the underwater world located off-shore. Dive boats vary from small private vessels to a large live-aboard dive boats. The SDI Boat Diver Course covers the “how-to’s” of boat diving from how to board, proper boat etiquette, entry(s) and much more. The course will also introduce you to the various types of boats you may be diving from.
Who this course is for:
- The certified diver looking for more information to maximize the use of boats for scuba diving
- SDI Open Water Scuba Diver, SDI Junior Open Water Diver, or equivalent
- Minimum age 18, 10 with parental consent
What you can expect to learn:
The SDI Boat Diver Course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
- Types of boats and features of those boats
- Charter boat
- Private boat
- Safety features
- Life preservers
- Life boats
- Flares SDI Instructor Manual
- Throw rings
- US Coast Guard requirements
- First aid kit
- Oxygen kit
- Exiting and boarding the boat
- Type of ladder
- How to use ladder
- Planning boat trips
- Types and sizes of boats
- Degree of difficulty of dives
- Air availability on boat
- Food/beverages available
- Sleeping equipment necessary?
- Dive planning
- Determining necessary equipment
- Use of a checklist
- C-card and log book
- Extra cylinder
- All open water equipment
- Spare parts kit
- Camera/photo equipment
- Game equipment
- Boat procedures
- Captain and crew briefs of special procedures
- Special rules
- Crowded area procedures
- Anchor line
- Descent lines
- Tag line
- Stern safety line
- Decompression bar
- Underwater navigation from a boat
- Natural navigation
- No current
- Drift diving
Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:
- Plan a boat dive
- Briefing on dock before departure
- Review of boat diving procedures
- Captain’s brief and travel to dive destination
- Log dive
- Care of equipment
- Attempt to use a different types of boat s or, at least, use a different entry point from the boat during the course
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in diving activities without direct supervision of the SDI Instructor* so long as the following limits are adhered to:
- The diving activities approximate those of training
- The areas of activities approximate those of training
- Environmental conditions approximate those of training
*Note: Junior divers (ages 10-14) must participate in boat diving activities with a parent, guardian, or dive professional.
Also, the SDI Boat Diver Certification counts towards a single specialty rating to achieve the SDI Advanced Diver Development program.
SDI Boat Diver minimum requirements:
- Satisfactorily complete the SDI Boat Diver Knowledge Quests with a passing score of 80%, followed by 100% remediation by the Instructor
- Complete all open water requirements efficiently
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
How do I take this course?
- Sign up
- Schedule the class, pool, or open water dives as required.
- Course Cost:
- $139.95 for class & certification card once earned.
- $90.00 Instructor Fee - Includes 2 open water dives (Tanks and Weights Included).
- Dive count is the minimum required amount of dives to successfully complete the course. If additional dives are required they are $45.00 per dive and include tanks and weights.
- Not included are Rental Equipment and Trip Costs. Trip costs include transportation, lodging, boat fees, park fees, food and beverage, etc.